California’s Eastern Sierra has some of the world’s best backcountry skiing and snowboarding. This region’s blessings are many: a deep snowpack, sunny skies, and high-elevation peaks. Top all that with easy access and you have a backcountry skier’s dream come true. Such great terrain deserves a great book, and this one makes the grade, covering every major peak and canyon in the range, describing almost 300 descents. With so much to choose from, no matter what your skill level, the perfect challenge awaits you in the Sierra backcountry. From the moderate bowls of the Sherwins to the high-alpine exposure of Mt. Whitney, you’ll find a run that’s just right for you. In fact, you’ll find many! If you’re an expert, you can take on of the most extreme skiing challenges in America. Packed with color photographs, this book is your ticket to a lifetime of adventure.
- expanded and improved third edition
- ~300 ski descents (many more than the second edition!)
- full color throughout
- revealing terrain photography + inspiring action photos
- thorough introduction addresses Sierra seasons, weather, avalanche danger, skiing history, and more
- at-a-glance “beta boxes” with aspect, slope angle, summit elevation, vertical feet, hiking distance, terrain type
- the best skiing in the world!!
- $1 from each book sale benefits the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center!
About the authors:
Nate Greenberg grew up in the mountains, backpacking and skiing throughout the Sierra. Since 2000, Nate has called the Eastern Sierra home, and is committed to helping the region’s adventure opportunities expand. In 2005, along with the help of a group of dedicated individuals, Nate helped form the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center, providing backcountry users the information they need to stay safe in avalanche terrain. Nate currently resides in Crowley Lake.
Dan Mingori moved to Mammoth in 1999, after 20 years of honing his snowboard skills on the East Coast. Married to his snowboard, he spent most of his time at Mammoth Mountain, soon shifting his energy from the chairlifts to the backcountry. Surrounded by an endless playground of mountains, Dan developed a handful of other hobbies, including a renewed interest in photography. He has since moved to Colorado, so we really hope to see some of his photography featuring snowscapes a little closer to home!
- Publisher: Wolverine Publishing in 2018
- Edition: 3rd
- Author: Nate Greenberg and Dan Mingori
- Color: Yes
- Pages: 368
- ISBN: 9781938393334